“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn”
As C.S. Lewis wrote above, experience is a phenomenal teacher, it gives us the tools to learn and adapt to new and challenging situations. Below I provide an overview of my working experience and the work I have developed for my previous employers, starting from the end.
Analytics Advocate @ Google
My mission at Google is to find the right data for the right purpose with the right design – I help Google leadership & users to make better decisions by giving them useful data & insights. I manage two internal data platforms that make data available across Google, and I also analyze & visualize internal and public available data to create actionable stories. Highlights:
- Thought Leadership: published the book Google Analytics Integrations (Wiley, 2015) and over a hundred articles in major publications around the web + 11 official Google case studies. I presented at over 70 events in 20 cities, including audiences of over a thousand people.
- Data Platforms: came up with the idea and led the development of an internal large scale data platform. The project involved multiple teams, especially engineering, legal and product. The main objectives were to make internal data more accessible, secure and impactful. Following the success of the project, I “inherited” another large scale platform built by our engineers, which I manage and develop.
- Product Excellence: working with Product & Engineering teams to help shape our product vision – I also serve as a bridge between our Product teams and our users, bringing feedback and ideas on how to develop new capabilities.
Consultant & Thought Leader @ Online Behavior
Following an old dream and my interest in writing and editing other people’s writings, I decided to found my own business. I created a website called Online Behavior, which focuses on marketing measurement and optimization. The website became a well-known Marketing Measurement & Optimization portal with content from industry thought leaders. Successfully built a large audience (over 1 million users reached so far), created several partnerships with content providers, and edited hundreds of articles. The website is currently the demo site for the global Google Analytics sales team and a testing platform for engineers building the product.
In parallel, I provided consultancy in measuring and optimizing websites as a Google Analytics Certified Partner. Delivered multiple training programs, analytics account designs, and analytical insights to enterprises (including Google, 888 Holdings, and Playtika).
Head of Analytics & Optimization @ Seperia
Following my experience as a practitioner, I joined Seperia, leading the Analytics & Optimization services for the company, an International SEM firm. Some of the highlights of this position:
But more important than all the items above was to learn how to deliver professional services in a very high standard. And connecting to some of the most promising internet companies in Israel and in the world.
Chair of Marketing @ Web Analytics Association
As I got more interested in the field, I joined the Web Analytics Association, and after a few months I was promoted to Chair of Marketing. For over three years I worked with the most prominent figures in the field to foster the field and spread the word about this fantastic new thing.
The work was very similar to what I did in the Youth Movement, organizing events, working with educational material and trying to give life to cool ideas. I was responsible for managing the marketing volunteers and define the strategic and operational marketing activities for the association. Below are two of the most important projects I created and led:
- Web Analytics Without Borders – Our mission is to help SaveTheChildren.org develop a data-driven culture from scratch and enable positive and sustainable change in thousands of childrens’ lives.
- Web Analytics Championship – A competition that creates an opportunity where Web Analysts can interact and share their professional knowledge with their fellow analysts in the Web Analytics community
On 2010 I won the Web Analytics Association Presidential Award for the work I have performed for the association.
SEO, Online Competitive Analysis & Analytics
Later, while finishing my M.Sc. research, I started working with Spiral Solutions, an eGaming solutions company, starting with Brand Management but quickly moving into analyzing competition and website results. My main task during my time there was to implement and turn Hitwise data into insight.
I still remember the first time I heard the expression Web Analytics. After I got involved with Hitwise I started asking questions to the IT manager (wrong place!) and discovered they had an unused software installed in the servers: Webtrends. After reading a dozen whitepapers and researching the subject, I got ownership over it.
Later on I moved to eSnips, a small startup focused on User Generated Content with a huge amount of data. The website was received millions of visitors a months and producing very rich clickstream data. My position was to analyze this behavior and bring insights into the company and also to define the Search Engine Optimization strategy for the company – this proved to be a significant source of traffic since the website had millions of pages being indexed by Google.
Leadership & Management
I was lucky enough to be very involved with a Youth Movement early in my life, Habonim Dror, where I was given a huge amount of responsibility and it turned out to be one of the most enriching experiences in my career. I was responsible for the educational and administrative aspects of dozens (sometimes hundreds) of teenagers and had the chance to organize events and summer camps in a large scale. At the age of 21 I had already organized events for over 200 people and had represented Brazil in Russia, USA and Argentina. As Emily Dickinson so skillfully described:
We play at Paste
Till qualified, for Pearl
Then, drop the Paste
And deem ourself a fool
The Shapes – though – were similar
And our new Hands